Alissa's Life

Friday, May 12, 2006

Yesterday I was talking to Remi's gymnastics coach, Michelle, and she said "I am way busier now than when I worked full time". I have thought about that and, though I didn't have little kids while I worked so it is not a great comparison, I am definitely busier than when I was working full time.

Moms in general tend to wear many hats, but stay-at-home-moms (SAHM) tend to pile them on like a cap-seller (ie. the book "Caps for Sale"). I think this is easy to see in the very reason why most mom's choose to stay at home; they want to be involved and with their children. A lot of times that means joining groups, scheduling play dates, and participating in organized activities with and for your children. A lot of the children's activities really need volunteers to keep the program going and SAHMs are guilt-ed into volunteering for the groups their children go to. All of this uses up a lot of time, but then SAHMs have the problem of the lack of a second income and the guilt that brings for maybe not being able to buy what the kids want or being able to save enough for college. So the SAHMs get a SAH job. So now they are going to kids activities, volunteering, and then trying to make money on the side.

Then there are the household chores and the "projects". I just finished (at least the sewing) the cushions for the kitchen nook. I have a door ordered for the playhouse (replace the one that was really an indoor door), I am going to Flynn's carpet this afternoon to flirt with the salesman "Ken" so he will give me some free carpet remnants. I still need to make curtains and replacement windows for the house and then replace deck boards and railing boards before I sand and paint the deck, railing, and stairs. I'm not sure why I just stuck in all that detail, but whatever.

Plus, with any "left-over" time, SAHMs would like quiet time for books, games, and personal hobbies.

I'm not sure where I was going with this... I guess it was just an observation. Probably spurred by Mother's day!

As an aside about the girls: Genie has developed a new habit/obsession. She has to be able to play with her bellybutton in the car and going to sleep. It is one of those inny/outie buttons so she pulls it out, then stuffs it back in, then does it again. it is so weird. Remi makes up stories about babies and horses she sees while we are out. Giving them names, telling me what she does with them, what games they like to play. Not only does she love to talk, but she has a very vivid imagination. Ellie is still involved with neopets. I think my neopet is probably dying. I should probably have Ellie feed it for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home